Tuesday, June 12, 2007

1st Assignment and 1st Day

Thursday afternoon - no info on where I'll be
Thursday night - still no info
Friday morning - nothing
Friday afternoon - nothing, hey maybe I'll be on the beach next week!
Friday evening right before I head to the airport to head back to Seattle - email asking me to call

Discuss project starting on Monday and told that we (he) will decide on Monday morning if I will join the project of not

Monday morning - show up at office and told that I will be on the project and need to head to Chicago ASAP. Multiple conferences in Chicago makes booking hotel almost impossible, stuck in crap hotels.
Monday afternoon - head home to pack and then off to the airport. Turns out ticket hasn't been issued yet so I have to call travel to have ticket issued. High call volumn so on hold for a while, and travel person is abrupt and short. Almost forgot to book rental car - didn't help travel person's demeanor.
Monday evening - reading background information on the plane, napping
Monday night - arrive in Chicago airport. Rental car area is so far from the gate. Not a gold member so have to wait in line. Some other guy forgot his bags on the bus. Poor guy. Get in the Pontiac Vibe (never heard of this car? neither have I. Can't even speed it's so underpowered) and head to hotel. Stuck with smoking room facing car park. Gym at hotel sucks.

Tuesday morning - wake up at 6:45, 4:45 in Seattle. Room service breakfast and then head to office downtown. Should take 30 mins, I allocated 1 hr, and I end up using that up and more. No parking at the building, need to go around in circles and park at a lot 5 blocks away. Rush to meeting - it's hot and I'm sweating.

The rest of the day doesn't go any better
- first task is to educate the partner on the industry that I only kind of know, ugh...
- sent off to the client with no time for lunch, pick up Micky D's and eat in the car. Of course something drips on my shirt
- traffic and shirt changing makes me late, partner asking me where I am
- had to change hotel to avoid 2 hr commute back and forth to client. The only hotel is Days Inn. Big pimpin
- stuck at client working until 9:30
- didn't want Mickey D's again, so bought snacks at Citgo convenience store (benefit of staying at Days Inn is that Citgo is walking distance)
- stupid Varejao takes the last second shot and Cleveland loses - WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?!?!

Ok, time for bed - meeting the team at 8am tomorrow for a full day until I head out at 10pm to San Francisco.

2 comments:

Sara Songi said...

that sounds horrible.. well next week will be better.. conferences will be over, so u can get a decent room and a decent hotel, won't have to fly back and forth to sf.. and u've met the ppl, the rest should be a piece of cake for u :D

Unknown said...

How come you know your way around Chicago? Quite ging wor...