Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Continuing the Expensive Restaurant Losing Streak

Since this was the last time for a month that we'll all be in town (Edmund's off to NYC for a month, I'm off to Austria for 3 weeks), I decided to have my T1 I owe thanks to my signing bonus last night.

My baby's been craving Ruth's Chris for a while now - "the best filet mignon in town" she claims, so that's where we went. It's also one of the few restaurants on the Eastside so it's easier for the guys to get there.

Alas, they were way off their game last night. It was pretty sad.

Appetizers
We each had an order of the appetizer sampler, so we got to taste pretty much all they had to offer. Their barbecue shrimp was overcooked and their shrimp cocktail didn't seem very fresh. I liked the stuffed mushrooms and their crab, but they weren't all that impressive. We also ordered 2 plates of crab legs, and these were worse quality than the ones you get at Costco. At $45 a plate, you'd think they'd have El Gaucho like crab legs (yum...) but instead, you get these weak super fishy ones. Sigh.

Soup and Salad
I didn't have any soup or salad, but they seemed pretty good. The lobster bisque looked pretty so not too bad.

Main Course

Eray and Peter each had a filet and then shared a ribeye. Hardcore.


My ribeye. Oscar style so they added a crabcake (?) on it. Usually don't they just add crab? What's crazy is that a plate of 2 crabcakes for appetizer is $15, but adding this one crabcake is $13? WTH?

Look at how happy we all are BEFORE we started eating.

As you can probably guess from my tone, I was not very happy with the main course. My steak was totally tasteless - and yes I particularly like tasty foods, but everyone thought it was bad, including my baby who LOVES steak and eats almost anything. The creamed spinach was super bland, as were the potatoes. Now I finished a 40 ounce steak on my birthday, but I couldn't cram down this 20 ouncer. Bleh.

I wasn't the only one having issues. Yin had crabcakes and she didn't finish them either because they were too salty. Sara finished her filet, but only after remarking a few times that it was not as good as she remembered.

Dessert
Finally the dessert. The bread pudding wasn't too bad, but the molten chocolate pie tasted just like a normal chocolate cake. There wasn't really any molten chocolate in it, and the cake was just like the chocolate sponge cake from Sara Lee that I used to have after school.

So all in all, it was just a very disappointing dinner, especially for $120 a person.


Worse yet, I had a stomach ache pretty much immediately which lasted the rest of the night (and it's still quesy today), and Peter, Yi fung and Sara all have/had stomach aches as well. Talk about a loser. Ruth's Chris, you're dead to me.

1 comment:

Sara Songi said...

how sad.. i even rated their filet higher than the met and el gaucho.. of course el gaucho had better everything else.. but i thought the filet was better at ruth.. we need to find a better steakhouse.. maybe i need to start cooking my lean mean steaks again :D