Thursday, May 10, 2007

Trust

So easy to lose, so hard to earn.

I wonder if it's better to be more trusting and believe that people are generally honest, or being more skeptical. I think most people start out life as the former, and depending on the people around them and the things they go through, they gradually move towards the latter. In essence, one's ability to trust depends on the caliber of people around you.

What's sad then is when one becomes jaded by dishonest people, and extends that sense to other people who are actually honest. Would that be considered rational or irrational behavior? It's rational since you've been duped once, so clearly you should be on the look out for being duped again. On the other hand, just because there was one bad apple, doesn't mean apples are bad.

Well anyway, I digress. What I wanted to say was that it's annoying that even the most insignificant act of stupidity can have such a disproportionate impact on trust - and those that know me know that I'm all about the stupid things. sigh.

I'm just count my blessings that people care enough about me to overlook my stupidity.

Btw, I am very grateful for having friends that showed their concern both directly and indirectly. It does mean a lot to me. Thanks.

1 comment:

Sara Songi said...

i guess we all do stupid things, we just have to hope those around us don't judge us on our occasional brain-farts (yes that is a technical term) and know us well enough to see past it..
of course to many brain-farts equals a big turd, and those are hard to ignore :P