Sunday, May 20, 2007

Enjoying an Active Sunday

Over all a pretty good day today. Started out with me not being hung over from the decent amount of alcohol consumed yesterday. I stuck to whisky and rum and it seems that works much better for me than wine, although clearly all alcohol is bad news. The weather today was perfect as well, so it was a good day for me to actually check out Kitzbuhel.

Turns out, there's not much to see in Kitzbuhel. I wanted to take some photos but there really isn't much to take photos of! All the stores close on Sunday and the whole village (since I don't think it even deserves to be a town) is about 4 blocks.

There seems to be a big deal about cemetaries in Austria. They had something like this in Salzburg too.


Setting a timer took some skill. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to take photos in the church, but no one was there... I guess, except God. Sorry God.


And there's this random statue. Totally random.


The most impressive structure? The AlpineUniversity/hotel. The minimum security prison I've been in for the past 2 weeks.


But in all its smallness, Kitzbuhel does have a Chinese resturant! Here's some free advertising for my fellow Chinese.


I actually rallied a bunch of folks to go there on Friday and the food was surprisingly good and so I went back today for a bowl of noodles. It wasn't quite like ramen, but decent.


The owners are from China and immigrated to Kitzbuhel about 20 years ago. They speak very good German actually. Very random. Got to bust out my Mandarin. :) Good fun. The bill came out to 10.10 euros, but they let me off with just paying 10 and no tip. I felt bad. :(

In the afternoon, I arranged a soccer game between the Europeans and the Americans. I thought it would be pretty competitive, with the Europeans coming out on top, but alas, we Americans were surprisingly good.

Europeans: Vitterio (ITL), Patrick (ITL), Christian (GER), Jamil (DEN), Lola (USA but playing for Europeans)
Americans: Kenny (DC), Bryan (CA), Anton (NY), me (SEA)



Final score, Americans 6: Europeans 1. Awww yeah. Of course it helped that we had two marines on our team, one of which used to play D1 in college...

Afterwards I went to check out the climbing wall. 50 meters of rock in the middle of the hotel. Ridiculous. I hate to admit it but it took quite a bit of convincing for me to attemp the climb. Childhood trauma... in 9th grade in front of all my friends I couldn't make it up the rock at camp. Yes the fat kid couldn't make it. :( But after seeing all these random ppl make it up, I couldn't quite bring myself to chicken out. Up I went. It wasn't that bad actually, although now my arms are quite sore (yes I was using mostly my legs, but there were ledges where you had to use your arms). Made it up all the way. Wassup!!! Turns out I'm more fit now then when I was 14. Who knew?

Oh, and I hate Indian food too. It's the perfect combination of spice, grease and meat and I had two helpings at dinner. Yeah... so about that diet....

Note: I saw 2 other guys with Crocs today. That's right, crocs are in.

1 comment:

Sara Songi said...

first of all, just because 2 other guys in this little town are wearing crocs, doesnt mean they are in.. even if the guys wearing the crocs were mckinsey guys.. second.. you're very cute adventuring through this town all by your lonesome :), wish i could have kept you company, and climbing the 50 ft wall, putting together a soccer match between europe and usa..where usa comes on top.. what can you not do.. =P