Friday, March 16, 2007

Chinese Copycats

Went to Shenzhen today to make some clothes for my new job. Went to Luo Wu Shopping Center, which is 5 stories of about 100 little stores, all specializing in copying anything you can imagine. Movies, TV shows and video games are a given, but they also have purses, watches, and jewelry of pretty much any sort. What's even more amazing is that they can even copy clothes. Bring a picture of something you like, pick the fabric, take down your measurements, and viola, in a week, you have a custom tailored copy.

I am having 2 Western suits, 1 Chinese suit, 12 shirts, and 2 pairs of paints made for me. The suits are about US$200 each because I'm using some material from Italy. The shirts are US$20 each. And the pants, are about US$30. The shop keeper is going to come down to HK the week after for a fitting, and then have the clothes delivered the week after that. A friend of mine mentioned that he actually knew a lady who had 20 suits made, so she didn't have to repeat a suit for a whole month. I can see the attraction of doing that...

I also got 2 dresses made for my girl based on the pictures she sent. We'll see how that goes. If it actually turns out well, that may be the new avenue for shopping for her. I could see how it gets pretty fun, especially if you actually start designing your own clothes. Too bad I'm too old to wear any clothes that are more adventurous.

No comments: